There has been a lot of celestial activity these days, which inspired me to create this illustration of a meteorite falling over an Icelandic landscape.
This is a composite photo: the sky is a night sky I found on google images—I removed the moon—while the landscape comes from a day picture of a cotton field in Iceland, taken by a National Geographic reporter. The meteorite is basic vector art.
By the way, here’s the difference between a comet and a meteor:
Meteoroids are small chunks of debris in space. When they enter our atmosphere they start to burn and and streak across the sky, blazing bright for a few seconds. They are then called meteors (or shooting stars). When meteors are large enough to survive their trip through the atmosphere and hit the ground, they are called meteorites.
Comets are also chunks of space debris such as rocks, but they have ice mixed in as well. Contrary to meteoroids, they have very long orbits, and when they come close to the Sun, the heat boils off their frozen ice and pushes it into a long, bright tail. Comets are much bigger than meteors and they do not have to enter our atmosphere to be seen.
28 Notes/ Hide
- usinmotion likes this
- newtgingpoor reblogged this from invaderxan
- redragonss reblogged this from invaderxan
- cassief reblogged this from invaderxan
- echoesofthetruth likes this
- obonic likes this
- twilights-sparkle likes this
- wonwrld likes this
- linhasenos likes this
- thespacebear likes this
- euphosphoria reblogged this from breakavector
- euphosphoria likes this
- breakavector reblogged this from invaderxan
- the1087 reblogged this from invaderxan
- wadeevans61 reblogged this from invaderxan
- weareprisonersofsociety reblogged this from invaderxan
- itsasmallcrimeandivegotnoexcuse reblogged this from invaderxan
- heyyy-itsjulie likes this
- wordsandswords likes this
- fishouttawatah reblogged this from invaderxan
- invaderxan reblogged this from zxcvbnmc
- olgamalyshenko likes this
- reginajolyne reblogged this from zxcvbnmc
- sealionessbythesea reblogged this from zxcvbnmc
- drmakwa likes this
- zxcvbnmc posted this